What a beautiful sunny Easter day, just what you could want. The children were a tease to photograph, but I think this one is my favorite. They are just looking over to daddy who came in from hiding Easter eggs.
Exodus 20:2-3 I am the Lord thy God which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. As much as idolatry is pooh-poohed and I really know better, I still struggle to keep my adoration on Christ. I realized this week that there are certain people on earth that I idolize, put on pedestals and look at as "super". I do this with Navy Seals, and Olympians (and let's not forget Olympians who used to be Navy seals!). Anyway, the news this week about Oscar Pistorius really shook me up. I have been so inspired by his story and his determination and physical prowess. I have put him up on a "superhuman" pedestal and now I am shattered. This has made me realize that Jesus Christ is the only "superman" (thank you Cadet for pointing that out so eloquently 12 years ago) and that no human can stand up to any perfection on their own. Yes, we can achieve physical prowess, super intelligence, we ca...
This week we read Mrs. Katz and Tush, by Patricia Polocco. A sweet story of friendship and community. Mrs. Katz, a polish immigrant and Larnel, an African American boy form a strong friendship and the little cat without a tail is the catalyst for this unlikely friendship. Following A New Coat for Anna, by Harriet Zeifert last week, the concept of immigration into America post WW11 was an easy one to grasp. Our Social Studies this week centered around immigration. We read a book about Ellis Island as well as Watch the Stars Come Out , by Riki Levinson and Keeping Quilt, by Patricia Polocco. A study of the Statue of Liberty would have fit in well this week, but I did not make time. We also learned about Poland. We read a little book about Poland, located it on the map and tracked the voyage Mrs. Katz would have taken across the ocean. For Math: we began simple multiplication: counting by groups of numbers instead of one. A great exercise for thi...
We filled our spring break with lots of reading. Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy Leininger Craven is the true story of two Pennsylvania girls who were taken by Native Americans during the French and Indian war. I will not give away the ending, but this is a wonderful story of faith and courage. In this story one of the captured girls remembered the scripture verses that she had memorized as a young girl, even after living with the Native Americans for nine years. and losing the ability to understand German, her native language. I am reminded of the command found in Deuteronomy 4:9 Only be careful, and watch your selves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them . My fourth grade son is reading G. A. Henty's With Wolfe in Canada aloud. G. A. Henty's books are written for young men and can be violent; all of us listen to t...
Comments