Exodus 20:2-3 I am the Lord thy God which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. As much as idolatry is pooh-poohed and I really know better, I still struggle to keep my adoration on Christ. I realized this week that there are certain people on earth that I idolize, put on pedestals and look at as "super". I do this with Navy Seals, and Olympians (and let's not forget Olympians who used to be Navy seals!). Anyway, the news this week about Oscar Pistorius really shook me up. I have been so inspired by his story and his determination and physical prowess. I have put him up on a "superhuman" pedestal and now I am shattered. This has made me realize that Jesus Christ is the only "superman" (thank you Cadet for pointing that out so eloquently 12 years ago) and that no human can stand up to any perfection on their own. Yes, we can achieve physical prowess, super intelligence, we ca...
Before nap time the fire seemed so far away. The air hung heavy and smelled like a summer bonfire, but the mountains were between the fire and the springs. At around 4:00 pm this afternoon all of that changed. As the children and I played in the loft this afternoon I stood gazing out the window. The red orange smoke blocked the sun and billowed over towards us. I could not see flames at that time, but I knew the situation had changed. Colorado Springs is now burning. Many homes and busenesses have already burned and now I can see flames from our home. 32,000 people are evacuated and may not have a home when this is over. It's really sad. There are teams working around the clock and we are hoping that when we wake up in the morning things will be a bit more under control. This is one of the experiences in my life that I will not soon forget.
Christmas! The past 3 weeks have flown. The thing about December that gets me is that the weekends are more packed than the weekdays. School has been flowing along relatively well. Sure, we've had the occasional party, or morning out Christmas shopping, but the weekends! That's when the real activity happens. Anyway, Anastasia has enjoyed 3 nice story units in Kindergarten and Tristan is doing well on his second grade work. The first story: You Are Special, Max Lucado. This one I pulled off the shelf the week after Thanksgiving because our books hadn't come in over the holiday week. The children enjoyed this story and I was able to help them understand the allegory and the deeper meaning of the story. Anastasia did some copy work and a coloring page related to the theme. Ana is joining Tristan for Math lessons; more on that later. The second story Anastasia enjoyed: Warm as Wool, Scott Russell Sanders. This is a wonderful, true, story of...
Comments